IS THIS REAL LIFE?
WE DREAM IT, YOU DO IT.
We believe that the best way to learn is to do. After we dream together, we send you off to live out your own experience. Below you will find our 5 experience categories laid out as a guide for you to view some samples of different options you could explore with Intrepid.
Work alongside field guides and national park rangers as a member of a wildlife monitoring team in Marakele National Park in South Africa.
Partner with a sea turtle conservation organization on an island in Costa Rica.
Conserve our oceans through marine conservation in Thailand, Cambodia, Australia, and other regions through education, SCUBA, and volunteering.
Learn outdoor leadership skills, wilderness medicine, risk management and leave no trace ethics in one of many countries around the world.
Lend your hand in trail building and rehabilitation in the US.
Live on a boat while learning to sail, visiting different cultures and countries, and gaining new skills.
- Teach English to Buddhist monks in asia.
- Volunteer on an organic farm while learning principles of permaculture and biodynamics.
- Support refugees domestically and/or internationally.
- Learn art history while traveling with a group throughout Europe
- Intern as a photography or film assistant with accomplished artists
- Take a music course and produce your own album
Get certified to teach English abroad and work anywhere in the world
- Do a paid internship in line with your interests
- Become a snowboard/ski instructor and work all season long.
- Be an au pair or nanny for a family anywhere in the world
WORK TRADE (work in exchange for room/board)
- Work as a teacher in high-need cities in the US with other like-minded gappers, while earning a stipend, health care, and more.
- Work in reception at a hostel, hotel, or B&B.
- Teach yoga at a yoga retreat center.
- Work at a farm learning about winemaking, sheep raising, permaculture, and all the things in between.
- Receive a scholarship to study abroad, intern, or do a group program.
- Do a kickstarter campaign to raise money to implement a grassroots project for an NGO that needs it.
- Learn Spanish while living with a family in Spain and working at their local B&B.
- Immerse in studying art at a local studio in Italy.
- Volunteer with endangered sea turtles on a remote island in Greece.
- Volunteer at an intentional community in Southern India with building maintenance, renewable energy, primary and secondary education, village outreach, architecture, organic farming, animal care, and more.
- Work with special-needs education in Cambodia
- Travel through multiple countries with a small group doing cultural exchange, language learning, adventure travel, and community service.
- Work in world-renowned national parks to restore forests and trails.
- Intern in an art therapy unit of a public hospital
- Become certified as a Wilderness Emergency Response Technician and learn backcountry survival skills
- Volunteer with penguins and great white sharks doing marine conservation and education in South Africa.
- Learn and practice journalism in several mediums including newspaper, TV, and radio in Accra, Ghana.
- Participate in women's empowerment programs in Morocco
- Volunteer teaching art to girls in a low-income community in Guatemala.
- Study Spanish and live with a family in Argentina while interning at the zoo.
- Backpack through the Andes mountains with a small group while learning about the outdoors and yourself.
- Work on an organic farm in New Zealand while living the kiwi lifestyle
- Intern along the Great Barrier Reef in Australia doing admin, writing, social media, and multi-media projects to conserve the reef.
- Take a group semester through Fiji, New Zealand, and Australia.
- Join a group of students on a travel program throughout multiple countries to get a taste of the world, language, culture, and yourself
- Work as a camp counselor in Europe over the summer
- Volunteer educating people on wild bottlenose dolphins in Western Australia during their summer
- Take a photography or filmmaking course in an urban city
- Learn a foreign language studying at a local university in the city of your choice
- Do a combination of a group semester and a month to two month long internship or travel post program
- Participate in an immersive program that combines right of passage with international travel, internships, and personal and group retreats in between.
- Do a group program, paid work, internships and/or volunteer placements, and personal travel
- Develop real-world skills as a citizen-artist during a year of service for a low-income school
LENGTH OF TIME
COLLEGE CREDIT OPTIONS
- Take a group semester and keep a daily journal along the way while learning experientially and earning college credits
- Enroll in a study program focusing on art, language, or conservation and get a semester worth of credit
- Do a global gap year and earn credits for a the US-based part of your program.
- Get certified to be a SCUBA Divemaster and work all over the world
- Get TEFL certified to teach English anywhere
- Receive your Wilderness First Responder or Emergency Medical Technician certification to support wilderness programs
- Become a certified yoga instructor and teach all over the world
- Become a ski or snowboard instructor and work in Switzerland, Canada, the US, or Patagonia
- Take a permaculture design course and become certified to practice permaculture and even teach it